The main ingredient of over-the-counter sleeping pills is an antihistamine. Antihistamines are generally taken for allergies, hay fever and common cold symptoms, in brand name medication such as Benadryl. However, histamine, a chemical messenger in the brain, promotes wakefulness, so antihistamine has the effect of making some patients feel sleepy. While the positive effects have not been substantiated through research, the side effects, such as drowsiness the following day, can be common and severe.
Strongest Over the Counter Sleep Aid
Some of the best OTC sleep aid include:
- Diphenhydramine is used to treat insomnia and difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep. Diphenhydramine will relieve the symptoms of these conditions but will not treat the cause of the symptoms or speed recovery. Diphenhydramine should not be used to cause sleepiness in children. Diphenhydramine is in a class of medications called antihistamines. It works by blocking the action of histamine, a substance in the body that causes allergic symptoms.
- Advil PM
- Doxylamine -
- Nighttime Sleep Aid
If you are looking for a best over the counter sleep aid you should know some facts how to chose right and natural herbal remedy for insomnia.
Best Over the Counter Sleeping Pills
- What are side effects
- Dependance – Could you come to rely on them to sleep
- Withdrawal – When you stop taking prescription sleeping pills you can suffer withdrawal symptoms, such as rebound insomnia, blurred vision, sweating, nausea and shaking
Over the counter sleep aids may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- dry mouth, nose, and throat
- loss of appetite
- increased chest congestion
- muscle weakness
- excitement (especially in children)
Some side effects may be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- vision problems
- difficulty urinating or painful urination
Diphenhydramine may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you experience any unusual problems while you are taking this medication.
The recommended dosage for Melatrol is between 1 or 2 capsules per night, and unlike other sleeping pills where you find you may need to take more, further into the course, Melatrol works in harmony with your body.
Consistent use of over over the counter sleeping pills could mean you come to rely on them to sleep. Melatrol’s main ingredient 5-HTP can affect sleep patterns by increasing the levels of serotonin which is needed to produce melatonin, a hormone which regulates sleep-wake cycles.
When you stop taking over the counter sleeping pills you can suffer withdrawal symptoms, such as rebound insomnia, blurred vision, sweating, nausea and shaking.
Melatrol works naturally with your own body chemistry and you will not get any withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking it.